All certificated holders must report to the Superintendent within fourteen (14) days if they are arrested or indicated for any crime or offense by any jurisdiction, and to report within seven (7) days the final disposition of such charges. This change in the NJ Administrative Code went into effect January 5, 2009.
N.J.A.C. 6A: 9 – 17.1 (c)
All certificate holders shall report their arrest or indictment for any crime or offense to their superintendent within 14 calendar days. The report shall include the date of arrest or indictment and charge(s) lodged against the certificate holder. Such certificate holders shall also report to their superintendents the disposition of any charges within seven calendar days of disposition. Failure to comply with these reporting requirements may be deemed “just cause” pursuant to N.J.A.C. 6A:9-17.5. School districts shall make these requirements known to all new employees and to all employees on an annual basis.
What this Administrative Code means:
· Applies to all certificated staff only
· Must report arrest or indictment for a crime or offense to the superintendent
within 14 calendar days
· Must report the disposition of the charges within 7 calendar days
· Failure to report may be deemed “just cause” which could lead to revocation of your certificate.
· The district is required to notify employees of this regulation on an annual basis.
· Motor Vehicle Laws & Education Law does not apply, however an arrest for DWI would apply.
· Arrests and dispositions occurring prior to 1/5/09 are not reportable.
Arrest Reporting Form